Lucking Family History
On-going research has traced the family to the Great Waltham and Little Waltham areas of Chelmsford. In 1631 a William Lucking of Little Waltham carried on the trade of carpenter and joiner and would, no doubt, have been asked to make coffins. “Undertaking” as the trade was then known, has changed over the years to become the profession of Funeral Directors.
It was not until 1883 that WILLIAM AUGUSTUS, the son of another William Lucking, purchased the property in New London Road, Chelmsford. These premises remain the place of business and family residence today.
William Augustus married Susan Piper of London in 1876. Their son GEORGE WILLIAM, born in 1880, carried on the business after the decease of his father. He married Mary Hurry and they had two sons, Percy and Gus, and two daughters, Gladys and Doris. When George William died at the age of 41 the business was carried on by his wife Mary (hence, M Lucking & Sons) until the sons became of an age to succeed.